Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Little Things

As we go closer and closer towards election day on 28th, the campaigning, the tension is building, campaigning is getting hotter as everyone tries their best to garner every single vote they can. Since I am running uncontested, I am given something breathing space and can afford to take a break to observe things happening around, so here is the 10 facts I found interesting in this campaign:

1) Most unique campaigning method
Distributing batches, candies, bookmarks are common ways for candidates to gain votes but for Chan Sing and his gang to dress up as ninjas, go into lectures and throw sweets around and shout "vote for Chun Kang as your sports rep", thats the wackiest way of campaigning I ever seen.

2) Friendliest current SRC member
I don't want to boast it but I am really proud to have Avinder as my mentor, she has been a great help throughout the really taxing apprenticeship weeks, and some might say, the prettiest current SRC member....:) so I guess I am pretty lucky to have her as my mentor.

3) Biggest Fan Base
In the Husting Day where Jeya, a candidate for treasurer speaks, the crowd that came to support him was so big that half of the seats in atrium was occupied by them. The so-called "macha gang" has been a great support, cheering and clapping all the time, simply amazing!!

4) Manifesto which created greatest controversy
Treasurer candidate Dominic's IMU extra plan which gives IMU student card holders 5 to 15 percent discounts in various outlets including countrywide Coffee Beans. It attracted questions on how feasible it is and questions on whether it will still be on if Dominic lose the election, I guess we just have to wait and see what happen...

5) Most Shocking pullout
We have candidates pulling out of the contests, but for me the most shocking of all is the pulling out of Bikash, a candidate for secretary, he is extremely helpful throughout our first running week, diligent and dedicated, and running uncontested, so it is the most unexpected decision but luckily Keng Seng came in last second to fill the empty seat and hopefully he will be just as good...

6) Most remarkable turnaround
Geowin. While sitting comfortably on the seat on IT Liaison Officer uncontested, his abrupt decision to quit has raised some eyebrows. Two days later, he changed his mind and decided to run again, hmm....thats a good thing but I wonder what he was thinking back then...

7) Most impressive speech
I personally like my speech but I wouldn't say its the best. Candidate for PR Liaison Officer, Nicholas Yeap gave an inspiring speech, confident and cool, stressing on points which he should stress and know what he is talking about, now thats what you expect from a state debator.

8) Best Poster
Tough choice, each candidates came out with really great posters, we can see that there are really lots of experts in photoshop here in IMU, but I would say treasurer candidate Chin Yeong's one is the best, colourful, attractive and make her look just like a celebrity, what more can you ask for?

9) Stiffest competition
Surprisingly not the 3 way battle for treasurer or culture & religious rep,but the battle for vice presidency of Medicine between Mezhen and Aveena, in my opinion at the least.Worked with both of them before, great personalities for both, I don't know the medic students mentality but from what I observed, this could be one hell of tough contest, each votes really matters!

10) Best Moments
This is an election, everyone wants to win, however unlike Malaysian election, at the end of the day IMU students really benefit from it whoever wins. So I feel this election is contested in great spirit, great sportsmanship, I made lots of new friends, and may the best man wins in the end, for me thats what really matters.

Hope you guys enjoy reading these facts, however these are strictly my personal opinions. Many of my classmates are wondering have they made the wrong decision to study pharmacy, hmm...I am actually wondering the same thing, for now I believe I will make a better farmer than a pharmacist, so we will see.. Haven't been studying for quite long and exam coming in two weeks, gotta buck up!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI MAN!!! ur blogging skill is getting better... love the 10 facts thingy, very compact and interesting...hehe

yup, it has becum a stressful week. it feels good if you go down with a good fight, but it sumtimes feels bad when people question our capabilities just because we are from pharmacy.

but i always believed that actions speaks louder than words. as long as we have done our best, be proud of it. there is no need make fake promises. SRC or not, let us keep on making LEGENDS!!!

keep on aspiring people!!! :)

yz said...

hmm, i personally like ur speech better, though i didnt hear it, just read it... i did hear that of nicholas, hmm, somehow i feel that it's a lil too much.... well, will have to see if it's just talk or will the talk come along with actions....

weiluen said...

To anonymous: yeah kinda stressful here as well,some people just don't see how much hard work we are putting in and don't appreciate them, but thanks...

To You Zhuan: thanks, yeah really after the election we will see if actions are really actions, but thanks for the praise...

mz said...

haha.

stiffest competition ;p?

let's pray i can join you in the src :)

weiluen said...

To Mezhen: Yeah, seriously i believe you have the toughest competitor in this whole thingy, so yeah election ending soon, we will see what happens :) good luck