Thursday, May 1, 2008

Labour's Day

1st May 2008, probably the best Labour's Day I ever had in my entire life. Good sleep, good rest, a bit of study, few hours to watch TV and edible food, thats what I haven't had for maybe the past 2 months and thats what I really needed anyway, feels like my life is back on track!! Looking back, even though life has been busy, I have been through ups and downs, I had some really memorable moments, so here are some sort of recap and highlights for the past few weeks:

1) Decision making
Just a split second of rushed decision and I might not be here writing this blog now. Monday I was telling You Zhuan that I will run for SRC, the following night I changed my decision. Then next day I told Eileen I will run for it and that same night on MSN, I told her quite confidently, final decision, I decide not to.... The next morning, April Fools Day, someone broke in and I lost my labtop, no one believed me, since its April Fool, coz my emotions showed I am fine with it, coz I tried to think positively and keep myself upbeat. As the deadline got closer and closer, and after lots and lots of thinking, I decide to step up and take the challenge, its now or never, so why not?I am usually not an undecisive person, but right now I can proudly tell you that I don't regret my decision, I just need some changes in life to adapt...

2) First SRC meeting
Its a kinda nerve-wrecking experience, when I reach there I turn around and tell Chin Yeong, "Oh my god, all the candidates look so classy and confident, who am I to compete with them.." And sitting in front of all SRC members, listening to Kajen talk about the upcoming busy schedule, apprenticeship week, campaigning week, husting's day, didn't make things better. Especially when I got the task paper from Avinder, the tasks where so demanding that I feel like I have a tall mountain to climb. Not to mention my two opponents that time, Tamarai and Vanessa, I mean they are great people, it might be really fun if they didn't pull out...

3) Malaysian studies
Being the vice director and unable to help out much due to clubs and SRC commitments make me feel really bad. With both Chinese Society and Table tennis club recruitment drive coming up, Buddhist society camp and blood donation drive preparation under way, class tests and lab tests keep coming, SRC tasks, manifestos and much more, Malaysian Studies just came as an extra burden...Thats when I decided that I will stay in school every night till twelve, till everyone goes back in order to help whatever I can.. Its so suffocating that I can barely breath, and skipping classes became a routine. But all the efforts are worth it, being the MC of the first day is a great experience, especially when I get to be involved in a MC's mini opera performance, and when the project turns out to be successful, its just nice to see. One memorable moment is when me, Chin Yeong and Chun Kang all brought our labtop ( I am borrowing Siva's labtop that time due to the missing labtop) to school at night and typed our manifestos while helping others to prepare for Malaysian Study. Got sick in weekends though after everything is over, poor me:(

4) Meeting with May Kuan
One of my task is to interview the Student Affairs Department and even to get an appointment with May Kuan, the officer there, was hard as she is frequently in meeting or trip. So after probably the 7th or 8th attempt I manage to arrange a time to interview her. Kinda lengthy interview though as she can't stop talking ( that should be a good thing, but I am too sick and tired that time), and it lasted one hour before I had to tell her that I need to leave for class, which I don't. No offense May Kuan, you are very helpful but I am just not in my best condition to listen.

5) Recruitment Drive and Dr. Kang
One of the most tiring day, after the recruitment drive, me, Chun Kang and Mervin are the only ones left to clear the whole atrium area. We had to shift bout 15 tables, 20 plus notice boards up to the second floor ourselves. Took us so long that me and Chun Kang were late for class, without even taken our lunch yet. Even so I suggested we walk straight into the class thru the front door and apologize, but I never expected Dr. Kang to ask us to meet him after class. We expected some scolding from him but what we got is a praise of our hardwork instead as he in fact, watched us shift those stuff from the 4th floor. One advice we got from him though, get more help next time and don't suffer alone, we are seriously short of manpower!!

TO think back I never expect myself to be able to go thru all that and still be able to stay alive today. But as tough as it sounds, I learned a lot, I grew up, and I am ready for more. Finally get to rest, and next mission, get my study and exam done, and ready for a nice holiday back in Penang.

Happy Labour Day!! (from someone who really laboured)

No comments: