Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Transparency




Look closely at the 3 photos above, they are all Tasmanian devil!! Except the fact that the first one is a baby devil.Compared to the second grown up one, its cuter, smaller mouth(less saliva flying around!!), and erm...without the trademark running cyclone.. Haha,but all the looney tunes aside, have you seen a real Tasmanian Devil before? Well you are looking at one now, roaring, mouth wide open, in the third pic...No prize for guessing what its saying coz we all know its screaming "help!! we are facing extinction!!" Which is true, as in Australia, this rare species is slowly vanishing from the land, and really, such a waste....

Yes yes,I know, we should stop talking bout saving animals...Lets talk bout something more serious, hmm...transparency. Thats the first thing that came to my mind actually when I reached Penang. Never gonna deny I am an avid opposition supporters ( not sending a come-and -get me sign to you , SA, I am not talking anything bout the Altantunya case so u CANT put me in jail). Especially in my own state Penang, I mean, this is where I am borned and I LOVE this island. And I definitely knew whats good for us Penangites. I will tell u what we don't need:
1) Crazily rapid development
2) Super tall buildings like KL twin tower
3) Tree chopped down, polluted air
4) Heritages torn down
5) Ignorant, self-centered government
6) Beaches famous for its rubbish
7) Scary flood
8) Traffic jams everywhere in this tiny island
9) Super hot weather!!
10) and most importantly, people telling us what to do!!
Those are some reasons, that we need a more understanding government who is not desperate to turn Penang into a KL-like city. What we truely want is to have a peaceful life, eat well, sleep well, and of course, a good environment to live in. And we need transparency!! We want to know whats the government is doing to our state, and despite the lack of support in terms of fund from central government now due to the opposition win, Penang, trust me, is indeed moving in the correct direction.... and I am happy to see it.
More politics.... How many times have u seen "full A1 students fail to get PSD scholarship" in newspaper nowadays? For me, countless.... Again what we need here is...TRANSPARENCY. I remember I am one of the so-called victim bout 3 years ago before I fought my way in due to some not to be publicized circumstances and I know how those people feel. For someone richer, worse in results, worse in co-curicullum, same race as you(yes racial is not an issue here) to be preferred for the scholarship is indeed ahead of you is...puzzling. Well I thought this scholarship is for the needy and the deserving. Well, not really the case here... Worse case scenario, you ask for explanation and the only thing the can tell you is those people are "cream in the crop" and you are not!! Cream in the crop huh, are you kidding me?? All we need is people to set up a system on selecting scholars and publicize it, is it that hard to do? Well unless someone is not willing to do it for SOME reason...(you know who and why) And there is a moment when you thought some politician, maybe someone like Dr. Wee Ka Siong from MCA can rescue you...well I am not used to launch personal attacks on people, but this guy, the ignorant way he talk to students (yes I did talk to him before), the way he look you in the eyes just does not give you security you needed... ( SO different with what you read bout him in newspaper huh? I guess sometimes media can do wonders)
So transparency again is pretty lacking nowadays, but back to SRC, I will be pretty transparent with what I do.. Althought might be a bit boring to read, but this blog will be some sort of my diary in SRC... Currently working on 3 projects:
a) Buddy system for M206/DT108/ M108
You might notice one week ago I pasted the list on boards in atrium's stage, but since the system is voluntary, problems arise when seniors decide to put their friends as "volunteer" without their knowledge, causing someone to pull out at the end and the list, need to be rearranged, so still working on creating a new list. An ice-breaker sort of high tea for those 3 batches is another headache as timetables just didnt match, plus I am not in KL, problems with booking venues, hmm...need to sort things out soon
b) Current SRC and new committee dinner
Its some sort of farewell dinner, me n PR liaison Nicholas Yeap is in charge on where should we have our dinner, any idea??
c) Visit to adopted home
Rumah Ozhanum is IMU's adopted home and the new and old committee is suppose to pay it a visit some time in the next month, and the social concerns rep is supposed to arrange it... Still working on it, hopefully will find a date where everyone can make it
And its official,I will be back in KL on 1st June(yes thats insanely early!!) I bought the air ticket yesterday just to realize the next day that the table tennis competition I am supposed to play in on June 2nd is shifted to July. Well can't do much, sacrificing my holidays to maybe try to settle some of the task in SRC, so you might find me in the office most of the time :P
Will human ever be as transparent as a glass?? Hmm..Guess not....

2 comments:

Qian said...

Hello, actually i like the idea of Buddy system, but i think that Medicine buddy system should improve more..

So far that i know, pharmacy buddy system(or tutor-tutee?!) is very well done, the seniors are very nice and the juniors benefits alot, but for medicine, some of the seniors just don't border to help their juniors, which i think is very selfish!

Hope u can come out with some idea on this..Cause i had seen others medical faculty in local uni is doing very very well with the buddy system, and i saw that the juniors really benefit alot from their buddy system...

All the best to u...

weiluen said...

To qian: Yup... its not coz i m from pharmacy, but i feel ours is more systematic... organising this time's buddy system is sort of a mess, might be due to my inexperience n wrong timing... but in the next buddy system, i mean during ur time, will try to make some changes :)