Wednesday, April 1, 2009

SRC..retiring...

You know what... I feel old...not just coz I m sick, but every signs seems to point that way:I am leaving IMU, I am leaving SRC, and I am erm... 23 ( hmm... some people are already dads at 23) But before I leave SRC, there is something I need to do, something I did two weeks ago and I am still excited bout, husting!!


So whats husting? To be honest I have no idea since I heard bout it, didn't feel like searching the dictionary. When I joined SRC last year I mistook it as "hustling", which I thought is something like Kung Fu hustle, where all the candidates beat up each other (in a more polite way), and the last man(or woman) standing wins. Well apparently not.. this,is the real husting:





Yes, it is the time where all the candidates get a once in a lifetime chance to sit on the very stage in IMU atrium and have a chance to deliver a speech to audience. But for us old people, its a chance for us to drill them with questions, or if we decide to be evil, a chance to embarass them on stage and expose their weaknesses to the crowd ( hmm...that actually came across my mind too for some time... but i think my angelic side prevails)

For the candidates, I am happy with some of them, for showing great enthusiasm and ambition, for some of them, not so.. for various reasons, ability wise, intention wise, effort wise ( not going to mention names though ) As for my candidate, I have all the reason to be proud of her, for not taking the uncontested position for granted, and really try her hardest to impress.

Ashvini the Social Concerns rep candidate

What I am not so happy bout is the lack of candidates. With more than half the amount of posts uncontested, one can't help but wonder why.. Is it because the previous SRC is not good enough and did not set good examples? Is it because students feel they can't change IMU even if they get into SRC? Or is it because we lack leaders among these group of juniors? Whatever reason that is... I can't help but to think back the good old days, two years ago when all the posts are evenly contested and last year... when we had to fight tooth and nail for our position, can someone tell me what is wrong out there? I am a fan of election, but what is election without competition?

So I will only feature positions with contest, giving my opinions as honest as I could, without being biase to anyone. First of all, PR rep, Ashnina vs Pei Jin. It will be a tough choice, for me and for IMU students. Well Pei Jin was in my mandarin class before, she seems like a sweet and sincere girl. But this girl Ashnina, she display superb courage by contesting even though she came from a health sciences batch and do not expect to garner much votes if IMU students decide to vote according to batch. So.. this will be a tight competition


In the Pic, Ashnina (forgot to take Pei Jin's photo)

Next we have secretary, Natasha vs Nirmal. Nirmal had a great speech during husting, very fluent and somehow she has the secretary look, reminds me of the previous SRC secretary, Swarna. Hmm... but Natasha had a very unique way of campaigning and hey, here is a little secret, I use her campaign bookmark during my study for exam!! ( so she gave me something useful, which is a plus), again.. undecided.


Nirmal (left) vs Natasha (right)

Next we have two positions which I have nothing to do with, VP for medicine and VP for dentistry (a new post). But as a current SRC, I have a chance to vote for them too... So need to pay full attention. VP for dentistry, both Joshua and Jin Lin has huge fan base, I can hear girls yelling their name when they took stage, more like a concert than election, should be a close fight, will Joshua has the advantage as a batch rep? We shall see... As for VP medic, it is the most tightly contested position in past election, Ben vs James, Mezhen vs Aveena, those are nothing short of spectacle. So this time, between Manlo ( a guy from Hong Kong) and Jodie ( a girl who put tissue boxes all over cafe), who will come up top?

Manlo (left) vs Jodie (right)

Joshua (left) vs Jin Lin ( right)

And... last but not least, the president... Zia is an amazing person, I have to say, I worked with her on few projects, and she has always been really helpful and nice.. Murresh, a good debater, with sharp and provocative answers during the husting... but... I guess I know who I am voting for...

Murresh (left ) vs Zia (right)

Well, I am still sane enough to know SRC members have to be professional, that is why I am merely offering my review for husting and do not favour any candidate, with hope to attract more interest on this election, with hope tat more people will come out and vote, my vote shall remain confidential. With 5 votes for each SRC members, we might be potential kingmakers if the competition is tight, so everyone please register and vote k?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

*hugs* Brilliant review Wei Luen, your comments are so uplifting as well! =D Haha, I was wondering if someone took a pic of me during the speech, and it turns out you did! You certainly do live up to your Nice Guy reputation =D